Thursday, October 31, 2013

Blessings For Others and For Me


      Maybe it’s just my outlook on life.  Maybe I’m just getting more philosphical     in my advancing years. Maybe I just feel privileged to be alive.  But now that it has been nearly three weeks since the auto accident that could’ve taken my life, I feel the need to reflect on the blessings that I and others have received as a result of my misfortune.  This posting will be divided into two parts: the blessings others have received, and the blessings I have received. 

I want to thank so many folks who have sent warm wishes and thoughts to me in a variety of ways as well as those who have prayed   on my behalf and have placed my name on temple prayer rolls, something that LDS people do which accesses the faith and prayers of those attending the temple.   And most of all, I wish to thank God for preserving my life—again—and now for beginning the    process of healing my body.

OTHERS 
-    Given the opportunity to think about someone besides themselves
·    Given the opportunity to feel empathy or sympathy and thus be concerned about me, or the opportunity to be concerned that someone they know is concerned about me
·    Given the chance to offer service by sending cards, flowers, dinners, visiting me, or calling me
·    Given the chance to reflect on the fragility of life
·    Given the chance to appreciate what it’s like to not feel physical pain or soreness
·    Given the opportunity to realize how blessed/lucky not to have been involved in such an accident
·    Given the chance to verbally interact with friends, associates,  or family about me and my situation, and often with Ann
·    Given a reason, or yet another reason, to connect with God on my behalf, through prayer or fasting

MYSELF
·    Given the opportunity to learn to be dependent, to rely on others, to feel gratitude
·    Given the chance to realize how blessed I was to have good auto and health insurance
·    Given the opportunity to see how well our health system can work and how well trained doctors and nurses can be
·    Given the opportunity to see how well first responders do in such a triage situation 
·    Given the realization of how blessed I am to live in a country in which there are first responders that arrived quickly
·    Given to be able to access pain control medication
·    Given to know again that physical suffering allows me to appreciate the times when I don’t feel pain or soreness
·    Given to know how much suffering I saw in the hospital and how blessed that I only had some fractured ribs with some bumps and bruises
·    Given the realization that God preserved my life and has allowed me to continue living
·    Given to know again how God is involved in the details of my life and the lives of others
·    Given to know again the power of Priesthood prayer
·    Given to know again the power of my personal prayer
·    Given to know the blessing of having friends and family who are concerned about me
·    Given to know again the constant, unwavering love and caring of my siblings and their spouses
·    Given to know again the constant, unwavering love and caring of my children, and my grandchildren for “Mumpa” or “Pumpa”
·    Given to realize again how blessed I am to have such a wonderful, caring, protective, thoughtful wife

All of these blessings occurred to quite a few people because one person was distracted for a brief few seconds by a stinging wasp and ventured unknowingly and unwillingly into my car’s path.  I have no doubt but that God knew that was going to happen, since I have faith that He is all knowing.  He must have known that the person whose vehicle hit mine, his family, along with my family, friends, acquaintances and people who know of me but who do not know me personally--and I--needed some of the blessings listed above.  What a loving, gracious, merciful God He is!




·       

No comments: