Tuesday, November 5, 2013

DAYS OF FUTURE PAST


It seems that most Christians look at this life as a way station, so to speak, in the journey to Heaven, and since this mortality is of a short duration when compared with eternity, we Christians tend to live our lives in the future.   This mindset usually allows the believer to deal with life’s challenges with hope because there is an expected reward in the next life for having maintained faith.   This mindset can cause the believer not to live in the present but in the future when a good life will be compensated.  This mindset usually challenges the believer to not indulge in today’s pleasures for tomorrow’s benefits.

This Christian mindset (especially the LDS mindset) also has the effect of causing the believer to feel regret for “mistakes” or sins.  It usually causes the believer to focus on what they haven’t been, what they’ve done wrong.  This mindset usually causes them to castigate themselves, to beat themselves up.  They usually become depressed because they can’t believe that God would love such a "sinner" and there is little or no hope for them.

This “future/past” mindset has been a part of me for most of my life, since I have been a Christian for all of my life.  I have historically accepted this future/past premise because it seemed logical, and it seemed to be inferred in the words of ancient and modern prophets that I have believed in.   I have looked at non-believers around me and have felt superior to them, for “they are enjoying the present but I will be enjoying eternity.”  “They’re going to pay for their sinful past.”  Those foolish people!

When I was studying to become a psychotherapist, I learned about different modalities that emphasized focusing on the “here and now.”  They seemed to be at variance with my future/past focus.  I thought, “How can you focus on right now AND on eternity?”  “Don’t they conflict?”  I hadn’t conceived of such a thing.  It had never been modeled for me in my upbringing.  It didn’t seem possible.  It even seemed anti-religious.

As the years have now gone by since those introspective graduate school days, I have had many opportunities to see the negative effects of a future/past paradigm.  As I have observed rigidly religious people grapple with tremendous anxiety for their future and regretful sadness or even depression about their past, I have realized the folly of my ways.  I have come to embrace a stance in which I give God or the Universe both my past mistakes and what I was or wasn’t, as well as my future, over which I have little to no control. (The traffic accident I am now recovering from is Exhibit One as to lack of control of my future.)

I cannot change the past.  It’s done and nothing can be done about it.  I cannot control the future, although I can make wise choices that can have positive implications for my future.   All that I can change or control is the present, the “here and now.”  I have come to realize that I can still be a believer and enjoy what is happening in my present.  I have also come to realize that God or the Universe wants me to experience happiness and joy right now.  I believe that it gives Him or the Universe great pleasure when we feel such positive emotions and feelings each day, and that He or the Universe does not want us to go about our lives regretful for the past and anxious about the future.  He or the Universe wants us to have joy as He/It feels joy.

So I am transitioning from a rigid, future/past paradigm, to a faith-filled “live in the present” paradigm.   I don’t experience ulcers as in the past.  I don’t beat myself up anymore.  I don’t worry what others around me are doing or are not doing.  I allow myself to be fine with who I am in November 2013, and I allow others that same privilege.  I take time to look into my wife’s eyes and feel love for who she is now, and feel her love for me as I am now.  I am grateful for this realization now, even if it took me many years and heartache to finally get it.  It has truly helped me to feel tremendous satisfaction and contentment—RIGHT NOW!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

it's so important that we learn from the past so we can live in the future without being depressed or feeling anxiety. this knowledge comes to some very early in life and others must struggle for some time before, hopefully, they understand the gift of life. they only feeling that is good to be locked up in is true joy. john