Monday, September 1, 2014

Zip-a-Dee-Do-Dah!

            For most of my 60 years, I have tried to be in control of my physical environment.  I am definitely not an adreneline junkie--I am the very opposite of it!  Occasionally, however, I will do something not because I want to, but rather, because I feel it is good for me to put myself either completely out of control, or somewhat out of control.  I sometimes feel the need to really challenge myself, and to my perception, put myself at risk.
This past Labor Day weekend, I decided to do one of these very difficult, nervewracking, uncomfortable activities.  In the past, while on holiday, I have both water and snow skied, been pulled on an inner tube behind a speeding boat, and hiked along some dangerous, steep terrain--all big deals for me.  But what my wife and I did two days ago really challenged me. 
I wanted us to rent a cabin up in the pines this weekend before my wife started teaching at PCC in earnest.  I didn’t want to travel too far, so that eliminated Big Bear Lake and Idyllwild, and there weren’t any cabins at Pine Mountain Club available when I finally decided to rent.  I decided to try Wrightwood, near Mountain High Ski Resort, some 11/2 hours away.  I was able to find a nice cabin there, but then, other than hiking, which we both like to do, what do you do there in the summertime?
You go on multiple zip lines rides, often hundreds of feet from the forest floor from one platform to another at speeds of up to 55 miles an hour!! You cross flimsy rope bridges, also many feet above the trees!!  And you rappel twice down from those lofty zip platforms to another platform or to the ground!!
The zip line after the speed zip!  Still nervewracking, still difficult, still fast!
I felt very anxious as I was strapped onto those cables the very first time.  Even though it was only about 50 feet from start to finish, and not incredibly high from the ground, I felt so nervous.  I didn’t look down; I only looked straight ahead and tried to brake my inertia as I had been instructed.  And I survived!  And after three “training” runs, it was time to graduate to the real zip lines.  The first one was the fastest zip line!  It wasn’t the longest, but the fastest.  I was in line to be first, so I sat down and zipped.  I figured I was flying about 35-40 miles per hour! I couldn't bring myself to look down or around; my eyes were firmly fixed on the platform and eventually the instructor, when he came into view!  I zipped until some 50 feet from the end, as I was supposed to do, when the instructor motioned to me to use one of my gloved hands to begin to brake.  What a rush to fly!
The first rope bridge--I smiled because I lived to make it to the other side!
Walking along the rope bridges also made me feel very uncomfortable.  Again, I did not look down but just looked ahead.  The last rope bridge (I believe there were 5) was the most emotionally difficult for me.  The wood slat/board we walked on was only about 10 inches wide, and while we’re able to hold onto the ropes as we inch our way across, I really felt nervous and out of control.  There was never any possibility of crashing down to the earth (I was told!); you’re connected, but that was of no comfort to me.  I was so glad when I reached the other side!
The grin hides the terror!
Many people have rappelled and it’s probably no big deal for those people.  But it was a big deal for me.  Of course, you control how quickly you descend, but again, I didn’t really feel in control.  I never did look down, just straight ahead, or at the rope that I was holding on to.  I felt a sense of accomplishment when I finally touched the ground or a platform.  
In fact, I felt quite a sense of thrilling accomplishment each time I faced my fear and did a hard activity.
The last thing on the course was the longest zip.  The wind was starting to blow and the zip line went on for about 1500 feet or so.  It was called the DRZ, the Dual Racing Zip, and my wife and I launched at the same time in a race to the end of the line that you couldn't even see from the start platform!  I immediately felt the wind in my face and saw that Ann got a better start and for about ½ of the line, I saw she was ahead of me.  Even though the wind was blowing fairly strongly in my face, my competitiveness got the best of me.  I tucked into what the instructors called the Cannonball position, which I believe cuts down wind resistance and makes you go faster.  About ¾ of the way, I pulled even with her, and then flew (literally) past her and won the race! Interestingly, by now I was able to think about winning the race and not about surviving!  

THE WINNAH!!!
I am proud of myself for accomplishing this difficult thing.  I faced my fears, was briefly out of control (at least in my head), and came off the conqueror.  Woohoo! Yay me!  

1 comment:

Emily said...

I feel like singing the "I'm Proud of You!" song. Way to go! And next time, take me!!