Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Checking In



I seem to be somewhat inconsistent in writing in this blog.  I apologize to those who check in periodically for new postings only to find the same old entries.  It’s been awhile since my last one so I am taking a few minutes to catch up.
On April 22nd my wife and I celebrated our 35th wedding anniversary.  I enjoyed our celebrations, one of which was white water rafting on the Kings River in Central California.  We had done that before a few years ago and it was just as enjoyable.   That is a long time to be married, although my brother and sister have been married to their wonderful spouses for 57 and 53 years respectively.  In comparison to them, I’m a greenhorn!
I attended many of the BYU Men’s Volleyball games held in Southern California and cheered them to victory a number of times.  They won their league and made it to the Championship Game of the Final Four.  Sadly, their play was far too predictable against a Cal State Irvine team that they had beaten twice in the season and who obviously knew how BYU plays, and were beaten in a three-game sweep.  I really thought that they were going to win it all.  Oh well, there is always next year.
My daughter and her family need to move out of their rented home in New Jersey by June 30 so the owner can move in.  This sudden turn of events has placed Adam and Emily in crisis mode attempting to find a home that they could purchase that would not significantly add to Adam’s commute into the City, and would not cost significantly more per month than what they’re paying for their current rental home.  This is an optimal time to purchase a home with interest rates and prices being what they are.  It’s just not very convenient or optimal to have to make  decisions so quickly.  My thoughts and prayers are with them.


My brother Tom celebrated his 76th birthday on May 6th.  He is in reasonable good health and is mentally fit, working at his employment every weekday, unless he is coming to LA for the Rose Parade or going to Gilbert, Arizona to see his oldest daughter, Caren, and her family.  Again, at 58, I’m just a whippersnapper!  My desire is that he lives as long as he wants to, which by all indications is a long time.  He has been a constant in my life, as I have written in this blog, and I love him and his lovely wife, Janeen, of whom I have written in this blog as well.
I have finally finished my 3000 hours of therapy and must now fill out a form and send it to Sacramento to enable the regulating agency to schedule the test I need to take to become licensed.  That testing should occur before the end of this year and with heavenly help, I should be able to pass it and “hang the shingle.”  I have learned so much and continue to learn as I do this important and challenging work.  I am grateful to those peers who have helped me along the way and to the many folks who have sat across from me or surrounded me as I have led groups.
The earth wobbled a little bit recently when I decided to join the social media world and have a presence on Facebook.  Although many of the 190+ people who have “friended” me are young folks in their 20s or 30s from my time as a YSA bishop in the LDS Church, there are some connections with people that I haven’t had any communication with for years.  I have to say that one can get “sucked in” to the social media phenomena rather easily, and I am controlling how much time that I allot to it.  One of my motivations for having a Facebook presence was to let folks know there about my blog and about new postings such as this one.
I do have a challenge with both Facebook and this blog and my profession as a psychotherapist.   Obviously, whoever I deal with and whatever occurs in my sessions must be kept confidential.  Most therapists do not do Facebook and most do not blog, although I have seen exceptions to both.  I guess that it is a matter of what you want to reveal about yourself and what you choose to write about.  I need to be very careful.

So my life is full, I am quite contented (for better or worse), and I am very blessed.  I appreciate having this outlet to my feelings and thoughts, and having the few of you that do read this blog.    

No comments: