Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Elder Bednar Spring 2013 Conference Address -- Grace?




I wrestled with the talk given by Elder Bednar in the recent General Conference.   It was presented in his usual “take-no-prisoners” and forthright way.  But here was my struggle with him and with his content, and what I and others surely felt as we listened to him.

To begin, I understand that one of the purposes of the leadership of the Church is to teach doctrine, to lay out for the members and for the world what is that doctrine.  I understand that in the societal environment in which we live, it is felt that there must be no equivocating as to that doctrine and to its practice.  I sense the idea is to contrast black and white doctrine as opposed to pervasive value and moral relativism.  I understand the need to establish a non-relativistic bar—a high bar—for the blessing of the members of the Church.  I get the idea with these kinds of talks; after all, although I never have been a leader of the Church on a general, worldwide level, I have been/am a leader on a local level, and as such was/am expected to proclaim the doctrines as they are presented by Church leadership and found in Scripture.

That said, the doctrine that he spoke of in this address was The Law of Chastity, and maybe in his world it is very black and white.  He was very clear and succinct about that Law.  But what I wrestled with was how he portrayed it.  Both the Law itself and how it was treated seemed very much like the “Law of Moses.”  In other words, what I felt about his presentation of the Law of Chastity was that he was forthrightly stating “here is the bar, REACH IT, and I hope for your sake that you can.” “It’s the Law, and you should obey it.”  I felt like I must obey the Law by doing a, b, and c, and reach what may be that very high bar without regard to where I am, or I will certainly go to hell.  

That is not to say that it wouldn’t be to my advantage to obey the Law, but his talk felt (and left me) cold.  I wondered if he or any in his family had struggled with it.  My perception was that he portrayed a God who is up in His heaven waiting for me to not live the Law so that He can damn me.  Elder Bednar threw a “bone” to any who had not reached the high bar by informing them that they can always go to their ecclesiastical leader and confess their sin.  But what happens if one feels so much guilt or shame that he doesn’t know if he can drag himself to the authority?  What happens if one feels so worthless because of his sin(s) that there is no hope for him?  The talk made me feel that such a person just needed to pray a little harder, read scriptures a little longer, confess to the authority, and just “buck up!”

I understand that the rants above are my perception of Elder Bednar’s talk and not likely the intent of his talk.  My perceptions are colored by my life experiences.   I also understand that Church leadership must emphasize different aspects of the Gospel message depending upon their audience.

For example, there are many in the Church who believe that repentance is a kind of Sunday activity, that their actions while not perfect are not so bad and feel some pride and arrogance in that concept.  They likely need to hear messages about consequences of continued disobedience.  They may know about Jesus Christ, but may not necessarily know and their own need of His atonement.

There are others in the Church who because of their own struggles with themselves, with their children, with what life has dealt them, need to hear messages of Christ’s grace and mercy.  They know that they are imperfect and are looking to God for support, solace, and salvation.  (I believe that many Protestants and Evangelicals hear what sinners they are every Sunday and as such place their focus on a “saving Jesus,” as opposed to an LDS Jesus that would seem to emphasize being perfect in performance and works.)

For the former, a message about grace and mercy may be misplaced and ultimately dismissed.  For the later, hearing about what they aren’t or may or may not be doing might fortify their belief in their inability to be “perfect.”   Since I fall in the “later” group, I wrestled with Elder Bednar’s talk.  I prefer the hopeful, loving but forthright talks given by someone like Elder Holland.

In my opinion, if Jesus Christ were to have given Elder Bednar’s talk, it would have been a different talk.  It would have had more grace, more compassion, along with the doctrine. 
I thought of the woman brought to Christ in adultery who the Pharisees wanted to stone.  He could have given her a treatise on the Law of Chastity, the law that the Mosaic Law forbade in no uncertain terms that the Pharisees hypocritically professed to believe, and which was punishable by stoning.  Instead, He said, “go thy way and sin no more.”  She knew that she had done wrong, and He knew that she had likely condemned herself. In His few words, it was as if He said, “what you did was wrong and you likely knew that it was wrong:  I’m not going to preach to you; I want you to be happy and you won’t be happy if you continue this behavior, so don’t keep doing it.”


But then, I am sure there are people who heard his talk and thought it was wonderful and just what they needed (wanted?) to hear.  Not me or others who need grace.

2 comments:

Smith Superiority said...

Hi, Bob! Great blog! I love how you write. It almost feels conversational, though as I read, I realize you are the only one talking. I had to comment on this one - and I probably will comment on others too! Just this post stuck out because I personally LOVED these particular words from Elder Bednar. I was looking for this address because I have an apostate brother who thinks the Church's loving outreach to the homosexual community means we are going to soon be performing same-sex marriages in our Churches and maybe even our Temples.

Yes, Elder Bednar lays it out bluntly...but he lays it ALL out bluntly...black and white - even repentance. The talk to me, was not intended to further wound those who are struggling, make them feel more guilty or like they are without hope. The guilt is already imbedded in the souls of those who are unchaste. He is like a physician who sees a hidden infection that will continue to affect the health of the individual and he has been brave enough to point it out in a way that does not offend intelligence. It is a very, very grown-up address. He states -

1. Breaking the Law of Chastity will wound you, or has wounded you. (You will FEEL injured inside) It will block your progression. (Breaking this commandment will naturally make your soul - that was once perfect and pure - feel disconnected from your Father in Heaven)

2. There is a way to heal the wound. (through applying - or in another word accepting - the Atonement of Jesus Christ) Your Bishop is the Savior's assistant. Give yourself a break - it seems that with the severity of the wound - you might take a long time to heal from it. That may have sounded like a warning or sentence - but I read it as meaning --- Take...all...the...time...you...need...to...heal...AND - in order for the wound to heal, you have to stop wounding yourself!

The bar, my dear friend, was not set by Elder Bednar. A person reading this address MUST understand that we all fall horribly short of the purity that we came into this world with - but through the Atonement of Jesus Christ, we can all experience what we came here to experience through the impurity of this world - AND return to our Heavenly home as perfect and pure as we were before we came here - yet, infinitely wiser and much more like our Heavenly Father.

Man...we miss you guys!

<3 Stacey Smith

Jim said...

I am glad to see that I am not the only one who "feels" like the tone is shifting. I listened to Conference last October and had to turn it off during the talk by Elder Oaks.

I just cannot access those old narratives of men or the god those narratives explain; my experience of God cannot be explained any more by those sorts of narratives. Glad to see that you are seeing it!

This is religion, and not gospel. They are not the same thing, neither can they be! The Gospel is the moon, not the fingers pointing to it! Love your blog!

P.S. Elder Scott gave a devotional at BYU that I attended before retiring. He said that he believed that "sin" (and he used his hands to mimic quotation marks) was the result of unmet needs.

If the Church could develop a new narrative for sin, then those who struggle--and that pretty much includes all people--can find in their expressions of "unmet needs" (using Elder Scott's words)a radical, transforming hope from a Church ready to support one another, rather than condemn one another--as is often the case, and one where the sinners might meet in council leaders who exemplify the heart of grace and not a defense of the Church, as the woman taken in adultery did with Jesus. Christ stood between her and the stones of death, guilty though she was, while convicting the righteous of their own sin and uplifting the sinner to love in new ways--at home (remember he told her to go home...not to the local stake center for church court).