Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Only The Black Notes -- AMAZING GRACE!

I have watched this video a dozen times.  I try to figure out exactly why it draws me and inevitably brings tears to my eyes.  Is it because I love Wintley Phipps' exuberance?  Is it his clever communication of how most Negro spirituals can be played on only the five black keys of a piano?  Is it that he is black and that I have always been around blacks and admire and respect their struggle?  Is it my enjoyment at seeing Evangelical Christians demonstrably feel songs, and wish my LDS brothers and sisters would also?  Is it his beautiful bass voice (I'm obviously partial to bass voices!)?  Is it his reverence for what he is singing?  Is it because I feel deep in my soul the lyrics of Amazing Grace and its message of salvation?  Probably a little bit of all of these.  You may or may not be moved as I always am by this video, but you might understand who I am a little better if you watch and listen to it




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Resonates in my soul! Being raised in the south, Virginia, and hearing this song sung by whites in my church, and blacks in their church, I have treasured it's message in my heart. I have felt the music and been moved by it time and time again, and sang it in a Sacrament meeting. I still moves me. Thanks for sharing this, RED. Harry McLaughlin