Thursday, March 21, 2013

My Inner Dialogue about Change



Can I change? 
If I really want to. 
Is it hard to change myself and easier to just stay where I am? 
Certainly!  The status quo is always more comfortable.  I may not like this part of me, but I know it, and I haven’t felt the need to change in the past.
Does my personal history tell me that it’s difficult for me to change? 
To a certain extent. 
Can I overcome the tendency to dwell on my past to justify not changing?
Yes, but it will probably be really challenging.  
I keep telling myself that I can’t change because I haven’t completely changed in the past.
Do I want to change now?
I think so, but the thought scares me.
So am I destined to fail in the end? 
No.  I can’t believe that.
If I’m not destined to fail, then I must have the ability to walk through my fears, to overcome my past, and change, and become, in the present.
But it’s comfortable right now even though I want to change.
So how badly do I want to change?  I will have to want it badly in order to overcome the challenges that will surely come.
So I need to hold fast to my commitment in those dark times?
Yes.
What happens if I temporarily lose sight of my commitment?
I may have to reach out to people I trust to help me in those times. I may have to reach out to God.
Yes, that’s right.
I have made changes in other aspects of my life and have proven my mettle in those areas, so why can’t I begin the process of making this change now?
I can.
But I am concerned that if I attempt to make this important change in my life, those around me might bring up the past and cling to it, and justify their belief that I can’t change because I haven’t changed in the past.
That’s true, and it might happen.
But just because people around me hold to the past to justify their beliefs and actions toward me does not mean that I have to believe I can’t change.
That’s right.
I can change, but the change has to come from deep within me, and must be for myself and not for anybody else.
True, also.
I know what I want and know my thoughts and intentions.  I need to accept the things I cannot change, usually others’ opinions, and have the courage to change what I can, what I have control over; like the Serenity Prayer.
I think I can change.  Here I go….


No comments: