Monday, February 22, 2016

Musical Guilty Pleasures -- Part Two

So here is a second edition of my Guilty Pleasures.  I was frustrated that I was unable to upload onto this blog the exact videos of the songs.  There must be some copyright issues or something.  Anyway, here are another ten guilty pleasures. Like the first edition, I own all of these, be they on mp3 or CD.

Go Down Gamblin'
I really liked the horn-infused vibe of Blood, Sweat and Tears.  David Clayton Thomas was one of the best lead singers of any group.  This is one of my favorite rockers from this group who was "competition" at one point with a similarly horn-infused, jazzy Chicago.
Baby I'm a Want You
Bread appealed to my soft rock period in the late 60s and early 70s.  Saw them in concert and learned that the lead singer, David Gates, had Mormon ancestry (guess in which state I saw the concert?) That's him on the right.
Bring Him Home
This is not so obscure, except my guilty pleasure is that I like Hugh Jackman singing this incredible song.  Every time I hear this song I think not only of Les Miserable, but also, about my own boys and my feelings about them.
Lean On Me
Bill Withers originally did this song, but I really like the funky cover that Club Nouveau did.  "We be jammin!'"
The Auld Triangle
Like in my first list, I have fallen in love with The High Kings.  This song is about loving a woman who is incarcerated by a man who is also incarcerated, and is sung a'cappella--without accompaniment.
Lonely Looking Sky
I first heard the music to Jonathan Livingston Seagull by Neil Diamond while living and working in Argentina. Thus for me it has a strong emotional connection.  The music is very introspective and shows Diamond's talent in my opinion. For me, this song creates a mood. 
Simply Irresistible 
This popular song by the late Robert Palmer is a favorite.  When I hear it, I often think of the video.  For some reason, I could not pull it up; thus, there simply is a picture of him and the "clone girls."  By the way, this is an extended version of this driving tune.
1979
Yes, I do listen to some semi-modern tunes.  This one from the Billy Corgan and the Smashing Pumpkins is certainly a guilty pleasure.
Me Wise Magic
This is a bonus track off of one of Van Halen's Best ofs. (They've put out a few.)  I like this tune because of its driving sound, in-your-face musicianship from Eddie, and typical David Lee Roth vocals (although he sings part of it in his lower register.)
Yoda
I guess all of Weird Al's tunes are guilty pleasures, and this one is an oldie but goodie, a take-off of the song Lola by The Kinks.  One of my fond memories was when my four kids, wife and I were singing this song driving around the Tacoma, Washington area in the late 80s.  It is not difficult to upload from You Tube the actual videos associated with his songs, but for some reason, they cannot be uploaded and placed in my blog. Thus, this is a concert clip of him doing this song (for about the first 3'20") about the Jedi of all Jedis!

No comments: