Wednesday, March 23, 2016

My Last Posting in RED In Transition

A picture from my Alaska adventure that was the subject of my first posting on this Blog!
In July of 2011, I decided to launch my blog RED In Transition.  Some 195 postings and over 30,000 domestic and international views later, I have decided to not publish any more.  

As stated on my homepage, I have blogged because I need to blog.  Other than talking with my wife, this place has been where I have processed my thoughts and feelings, where I have shared my interests, where I have been open.  It has been therapeutic for me.

I've wondered if I just needed to be true to myself and damn the torpedoes.  I feel that I can be true to myself in a safe way by continuing to write, but to write for myself.  

I have come to appreciate the fact, and it is a fact whether I like it or not, that because of the psychotherapy work that I do, I do not have the luxury to be so open in written form. The "down" side of being so transparent outweighs the "up" side.

It might be different if my some of my thoughts were more "mainstream," but they have the potential (and in one case have already caused a problem) for someone who has read or in the future to find this blog and use it to support a position against me.  Even though that risk is small, there is the risk, and I've decided it is not worth it.  I am going to delete from the blog history any postings that might be viewed as being controversial.  I will put them in my blog which I have kept exclusively for me, and eventually, my posterity.  I definitely want my posterity to know me. That has been one of the main reasons for writing in RED In Transition.

I have used Facebook to direct people to this blog.  I will obviously no longer be doing that. I have decided to not write about myself in any way on Facebook and just post what to me are clever or unusual things on there.  I just can't afford (figuratively and literally) to be so open about myself.

This does not mean that I will not continue to write in my professional blog REDMFT.blogspot.com.  I will write there, and perhaps more than I have been in the recent past.  I have a easy-to-read writing style, and I believe I have ideas to share with my therapy clients.

I want anyone who reads this last posting and who has been reading this blog for awhile or who may have commented on it, that I have appreciated that attention.  I didn't really write to have large numbers read it; my views numbers have always been modest.  I wrote because this shy redhead wanted the world, and especially those who know me, to understand my life.  I wanted to perhaps help someone who might be experiencing what I have or something similar to it.  I wanted to challenge people in some cases to think about their views.

So thank you.  Thank you a lot!  

3 comments:

Cathy Lunt said...

Hi Bob, I have never been a "regular" reader, but I have read occasionally to be a faraway part of your thoughts and learnings. I want to tell you that I've been grateful to do that and that I will miss your postings. You are a very good writer and I have read to understand you and to be challenged in my own thinking and to have my thinking expanded and I have gained understanding. Thanks for being you and sharing yourself, thanks for the friendship that has blessed our lives for 40+ years--you and Ann are dear to me. Love, Cathy p.s. Ace that next test!!!!!

Tara O'Rourke said...

I enjoyed reading your posts. It's always fun to get a glimpse of someone's thoughts and a lot can be learned from hearing another's reasoning. Thanks for sharing what you did and I'm so glad you will keep it for your posterity!

Monty's Era said...

You really can't beat the food at this place; they have the best vegetarian meals and the most adorable dishes for the kids. The service at event space San Francisco also was impeccable. The salad I had for dinner was delicious as well as the scallop appetizer. The main course of filet mignon and dessert soufflé was also awesome!