Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Near Death Experiences

For some reason, my wife became very intrigued by near-death experiences (NDE). Some of the people who have experienced these unique, unforgettable experiences have written books about them.  I likewise have become intrigued with NDEs as well, as we have listened to books about them on CD while traveling and while driving to and from work.  
Those who have had NDEs are from all walks of life and from all over the world. Among them are atheists, agnostics, Hindus, Buddhists, evangelicals, and Mormons. Whenever I learn about someone of my faith experiencing an NDE, my interest is piqued and I listen to what sometimes is familiar to me as interpreted by them.  I have come to understand that most of the time, people who have NDEs see what they are experiencing are through the lens of their life experiences. (How else could they?) And if they have some religious background, they observed the events through that lens.  Because everyone is different, it only stands to reason that their NDEs are not the same.


All of these experiences, no matter who relates them, are amazing and challenging.  I write amazing because these people supposedly have caught a glimpse of what it is like to be in the "other realm." They relate incredible experiences of a place where there is no time, where they feel unconditional love from those whom they encounter there, where there is no pain or anguish or sorrow.  Some have often struggled as to whether to return to mortality, and most then struggle to put into words what they witnessed while out of their bodies.

I write challenging because of how their experiences can sometimes conflict with what I have been taught in my Church concerning the doctrines of the "after life." These NDE stories confirm a belief that inside of our bodies is a spirit and that those spirits do not die when our bodies die but continue on.  These stories often treat the subject of a being or entity that governs the after life and from whom emanates pure love.  But they also sometimes relate experiences about multiple earth experiences, multiple dimensions, or karma.

I find that they demand of me to consider that my religious teachings may not contain all that there is to know about what transpires upon death.  They demand of me to be open to new ideas.  They challenge me to be available to entertain new truths.
One thing is for sure, those who return to mortality having been out of their mortal bodies come back very changed.  They see everybody and every thing in a new way.  They no longer can be who they were before.  Their previous views, ideas and beliefs no longer serve them; they want more.  They often have greater understanding of their place in the universe, how interconnected we all are, how precious life is.
As I have listened to their stories, it has brought me to serious reflection.  I have considered how fragile and short my life is.  They have helped me to keep my life in better perspective, to not sweat the small stuff, to consider what is my potential, to better realize how connected I am to everyone else.  They have helped me to realize more than ever that the most important thing that I can do during my mortal sojourn is to love and to try to do so unconditionally.  

No comments: