Friday, August 8, 2014

Musical Tastes

Devo
Anyone who has followed this blog for more than a few months, or who knows me at all, knows that music is an important part of my life. It has been so my entire life and I don't see that changing any time soon.  If you'd care to catch up on previous postings related to music, please find below a listing of them and the date I posted them.
  • My Non-Choral Classical Top 40 Songs - - September 18, 2011
  • Roll Down the Windows (Heavy Metal Top 40) -- October 10, 2011
  • Singing Praises -- February 12, 2013
  • Only the Black Notes (Amazing Grace) -- April 2, 2013
  • I Know My Father Lives -- November 5, 2013
  • Beatles Top 40 -- January 13, 2014
  • Where Were You? (Top 10 Beatle Covers) -- February 6, 2014
Since music is such an important part of me, and since part of the reason why I blog is so that there is some record of my feelings and thoughts for my posterity, I thought it would be worthwhile to list some of the artists and/or the genre of music that I listen to.  The list that follows is not an exhaustive list of all of the music recordings that I own, but it covers most of my collection.  Some recordings are compilations of various artists of a parrticular genre, and that will be noted.  The classical list will consist of composers and performers.

I've decided to list them in rough categorical genres.  It might be interesting for my readers to see how many you recognize.  Based upon those tastes, if any reader has suggestions as to possible artists that I might enjoy, don't be bashful to let me know!  I'm always open to new artists, groups, or composers.

POP, ROCK, FUNK
Beatles, Beach Boys, Jon Bon Jovi, Blood, Sweat & Tears, Crosby, Stills & Nash, Bread, Chicago, Devo, Earth, Wind & Fire, Elton John, Gary Numan, Edgar Winter Group, George Thorogood & the Destroyers, INXS, Luscious Jackson, The Moody Blues, The Police, Presidents of the United States of America, Queen, Robert Palmer, Paul Simon, Simon & Garfunkel, Soundgarden, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Sting, Stevie Wonder, U2, The Who, Neil Young, ZZ Top
Duke Ellington
JAZZ
Chuck Mangione, Duke Ellington, Diana Krall, Isaac Hayes, Ella FItzgerald & Louis Armstrong, The Ink Spots, The Mills Brothers, Antonio Carlos Jobim, Playboy After Dark Compilation (excellent!)

HEAVY METAL
Rush, Van Halen, Billy Squier, Metallica, Nirvana, Queens of the Stone Age, Stone Temple Pilots, Ozzy Osbourne, Led Zeppelin
Van Halen
NEW AGE
The New Romantics Compilation, David Lanz, Mannheim Steamroller, Kitaro

PATRIOTIC
Various Compliations
Linda Ronstadt
LATINO/SALSA
Linda Ronstadt, Susie Hansen

OPERA
Greatest Hits of Opera

FOLK, EASY LISTENING
James Taylor, Gordon Lightfoot, Judy Collins
James Taylor
SOUNDTRACKS
The Straight Story, Bossa Nova, A Clockwork Orange

CLASSICAL-Composers
Bach, Beethoven, Chopin, Copland, Debussy, Dvorak, Durufle, Faure, Gershwin, Holst, Lauridsen, Mozart, Part, Puccini, Ravel, Rimsky-Korsakov, Rachmaninov, Rossini, Saint-Seans, Tchaikovsky, Verdi
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
CLASSICAL-Performers
Atlanta Symphony Orchestra, Estonian Philharmonic, LA Master Chorale, London Classical Players, New York Philharmonic, Cleveland Orchestra, Stuttgart Chamber Orchestra, BYU Choruses & Philharmonic Orchestra, Luciano Pavarotti, King's Singers (not just classical), Robert Shaw Chorale, Thijs Van Leer, Vienna Philharmonic, Mormon Tabernacle Choir, Chant

GENRE CROSSERS & MISCELLANEOUS
Nat King Cole - Jazz, Pop, Leo Kottke - Guitar, Barbershop Quartet Compilation, John Jarvis - Piano, Willie Nelson - American Songbook
Willie Nelson


No comments: