Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Wabi-Sabi

            I recently read an interesting article about “untranslatable” words or sayings in various world languages.  Such words or phrases tend to somehow articulate thoughts or feelings unique to speakers of the particular language.  I knew a couple listed in the article because of my exposure to both languages. such as the Spanish word duende (roughly meaning passion, a magical focus, often associated with flamenco) and the Portuguese word saudade (roughly meaning a deep, emotional state of nostalgic longing).   In some way these two, and surely the others in the article, are cultural manifestations of those that speak them. 
It is hard to put feelings or emotions into words. Using the two words above as referents, both words indicate the profound emotions of Latino culture.  Having spent nearly two years of my life in Argentina and having been around Latinos all of my adult life, I appreciate their deep feelings.  I also spent 15 months in Japan, and have a profound appreciation for many of the aspects of the culture of the Japanese people as well.   In the article, there is a phrase in their language that is seemingly “untranslatable” as well.  The words pronounced in Japanese and written in Romanized characters (romaji) is wabi-sabi.  The English attempt to describe this feeling or sentiment is: 

a way of living that focuses on finding beauty within the imperfections of life and accepting peacefully the natural cycle of growth and decay”

                My wife and I had accidentally put those two words together during and after our time living in Japan, not knowing the actual meaning, to connote a distinctly Japanese/Asian feeling of beauty and serenity one feels when walking in a beautiful Japanese garden.  But I really like the actual meaning. 
I like the idea of “a way of living;” of appreciating beauty and peace in the imperfections of ourselves and things around us that we encounter in life and accepting this process as part and parcel of a “natural cycle.”  My life is composed of growth and decay and my challenge is to look for beauty and contentment in my imperfect journey.
Wabi-sabi is a feeling that I am attempting to incorporate in this the transitional time of my life.

No comments: