Thursday, September 13, 2012

Guilty as Charged or Shame on Me


         
           In doing what I do in the addiction recovery world in which I live, I have commented multiple times that my addiction is beating myself up for the regrettable actions of my past and for what I currently am not.  I am every bit as addicted to those thoughts and feelings as any addicted person that I attempt to help.  It seems to be naturally easy to allow those thoughts and feelings to overcome me like a big wave, tumbling me mercilessly and slamming me onto the bottom.  It is as if I take some absurd pleasure in doing so and think that perhaps I deserve to feel bad.
            To be sure, I do not beat myself up all of the time.  Usually, I manage to not go there or to talk myself through it as the wave is crashing.  But it happens enough and I am weary of this aspect of me.
I wonder if I feel guilt for what I have done and what I am not, or if I feel shameGuilt is what is felt when we do something wrong.  It can motivate us to be more aware of our actions and to make improvements in our behavior.  Shame is what is felt when we are something wrong.  In other words, it is about our essence, about being wrong, and not just what we do.
Do I see myself subconsciously as being fatally flawed?  Do I believe that I must be perfect, or some notion of being almost perfect, and that since I am not, I must atone for who I am by feeling bad?  Do I pretend not to compare who I am with others but then compare myself with them anyway?  Do I see myself as a fake, a poser? 
I feel the need to explore more of who I am and what is my level of shame.  I am going to be involved in leading an addiction recovery group on shame and the coursework demands that facilitators do work on themselves so that it is real and not just theoretical.  This introspection will hopefully lead me to another transition….  

No comments: