Sunday, September 18, 2011

My Favorite Non-Choral Classical Music List



If you've read the bio on this blog, if you know me personally, or if you are one of my children, you will surely know of my great love of music.  All kinds of music.  I must admit that I did not have much exposure to classical music until I married Ann.  To those who know little or nothing about classical music, it may appear like I have become an expert.  But anyone who knows a great deal about classical music will quickly figure out that this list is composed (no pun intended) of standards, although I have included pieces not normally found on such a list.

What genre of music I listen to depends upon my mood.  I can listen to classical, jazz, country western, rock, heavy rock, and occasionally some way out stuff like punk, trance, or drum and bass.  Whatever the genre, I like most of my music loud--except for classical.  But just let music accompany my life.  That will make me very happy.  But then, in the spirit of transitioning of this blog, who is to say what new genres, new film scores, new undiscovered classical pieces I may discover? 

40.  Rossini  "The Thieving Magpie"  Wonderful, whimsical music I came to love while living in Argentina. 
39.  Handel  “Music for Fireworks”  My favorite of Papa Handel, one of the major influences on Mozart.
38.  Barry  “John Dunbar Theme from Dances With Wolves”   Great new music being composed for movies.
37.  Faure  “Pavane”  Longingly, elegant, impressionistic music.
36.   J.S. Bach  “Suite #3 Air”  A very famous, lovely, sweetly melodic piece.

35.   Saint-Saens  “Symphony No. 3 in C minor-Organ Symphony”  This piece was made famous from the movie "Babe."

34.  Rachmanioff  “Prelude in C Sharp Minor”  A haunting, left-hand heavy, romantic piece, meant to be performed. 
33.  Grieg  “Peer Gynt”  Fun music from my childhood.
32.  Rimsky Korsakov  “Scheherezade”  Exotic and mysterious.  I can see a beautiful woman dancing in a tent... 
31.  Badalamenti  “The Straight Story”  The whole soundtrack from this movie is haunting, enchanting, entertaining.
30.  Elgar  “Pomp and Circumstance”  The uber famous graduation music.  Came to love this while living in Argentina.
29.  Strauss  “On the Beautiful Blue Danube”  This for me is the best waltz ever.
28.  Bizet  “Suite from Carmen”  The King's Singers do a marvelous acapella take-off of this.
27.  Tchaikovsky  “The Nutcracker Suite”  The old Christmas standby.
26.  Debussy  “Claire de Lune”  This is probably on many people's favorite.
25.  Satie  “Gimnopedies #1”  I first heard a cover of this from the jazz-rock group Blood, Sweat and Tears. 
24.  Mozart  “Overture to the Marriage of Figaro”  Famous piece that sounds like Mozart.
23.  Tchaikovsky  “Swan Lake”   A famous, beautiful piece of classical fair.
22.  Mozart “Ave Verum”  This number will appear on my choral favorites list I will do as well.
21.  Mozart “Piano Concerto #21”   Quintessential, perfect Mozart.
20.  Gershwin  “Rhapsody In Blue”  My favorite of Gershwin compositions.
19.  J.S. Bach  “Brandenburg Concerto #3  My favorite of all of the Brandenburg Concerti.
18.  Tarrega  “Recuerdos de la Alhambra”  Beautiful, emotional guitar music.
17.  Debussy  “Golliwog’s Cakewalk   A whimsical, fun piece.
16.  Copeland  “Fanfare for the Common Man”  Surely this will be played in the heavens.         
15.  Mozart  “Eine Kleine Nachtmusik”  This is a Mozart standard.  The "Lacrimosa" from Mozart's Requiem will be very high on my list of Choral music that I will make at a future date.
14.  Vaughn Williams  “Fantasia on Greensleeves”  Beautiful, lovely music.
13.  Rachmaninoff “Piano Concerto #2”  One of my favorites of all the romantic pieces.
12.  Sibelius  “Finlandia”  One of the movements of this great work was one of my first childhood exposures to music.

11.  Rodrigo  “Concierto de Aranjuez”  A majestic, emotion-evoking piece of guitar music.
10.  Copeland  “Rodeo”  I love Copeland's American sound and this work typifies it completely.
9.  Beethoven  “Moonlight Sonata”  A brooding, haunting, maasterpiece.
8.   Holst  “The Planets”  Different music for each of the planets.  I like Jupiter the best.
7.  Beethoven “Symphony #9”  This will also appear on my choral list for the last movement "Ode to Joy." 
6.  Debussy  “Reverie”  I've always loved this thoughtful work.  It is my favorite of all Debussy's music.
5.  Dvorak “New World Symphony”  The song "Goin' Home," sung at my grandfather's funeral, is based on the 2nd Movement of the NWS.
4.  Vivaldi “The Four Seasons”  I love all four pieces, especially when I am driving in nature.
3.  Rossini “William Tell Overture”   Hi-ho-Silver.  This fun music has been in numerous Bugs Bunny cartoons.
2.  Copeland “Appalachian Spring”  Hard to pick this my #2.  I'd like this played at my funeral.
1.  Barber “Adagio for Strings”   I cannot listen to this without feeling great emotion.

My next list will be of my favorite rock and hard rock pieces.  I have wondered if Mozart had been born in my generation, what genre of music would he have embraced?  Makes me think of "Bill and Ted's Great Adventure...."

2 comments:

Emily said...

Don't know if you were there, but I played that Saint-Saens piece for mom on the day she came home from one of her big final exams.

I was proud of myself for recognizing a lot of these works. All thanks to you and mom.

Lorie said...

Wow that's a great list and you captured several Mozart, but you forgot a biggie:) Piano Sonata No 15 in C Major. One of my favorites.
I didn't picture you as a hard rocker!! That list will be interesting. Hahahaha