Sunday, January 24, 2016

One Mo Time!

Last November, I posted about my difficult preparations to take the Marriage and Family Therapist (MFT) exam once again in December, having failed it last February.  The test I failed was a 200 question multiple choice exam taken over four hours.  That failed test would have been the first of two required tests, the second one being a 75 question, multiple choice "vignette" exam.

I knew that new tests were being prepared for 2016, and feeing some anxiety about having to study for whole new exams, I was preparing to take at least one of the old exams in December.  I was hopeful that I would be grandfathered into taking the second exam in 2016 having successfully passed the first one.

Little did I know that there would be no grandfathering!  Little did I know that there would be no test taking at all during the month of December, because the test didn't exist anymore!  I was chagrined to learn that reality as I spoke to someone in the Board of Behavioral Sciences (BBS) office in Sacramento when I was unable to schedule a test time.  All of the practice exams (answering 775 questions in 31-25 question tests!) I had taken were for a test that now couldn't be taken!

There was absolutely nothing that I could do about taking the old test. Nothing. I decided that I would have to face reality and start studying for the new exam. I had learned that I must take before the one year anniversary of failing the original exam.

I soon discovered that the website where I had taken all of the practice tests now had practice tests for the new exam.  This first of two exams is now about the law and ethics surrounding my MFT profession. It is a 75 question exam. I have been spending a lot of time in this new preparation; all told, I have answered 435 questions of the online test prep examinations, plus I have spent many, many hours studying.  I feel like I have a pretty good grasp of the material, but then, I felt that way before the first exam.

Tomorrow morning I take the new law and ethics examination.  I am cautiously optimistic that my 61 year old brain will be able to retain what I have studied and will have the wisdom to make the correct choices.  I believe I must get a minimum of 50 correct....

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hello! How did the exam go? Can you confirm if you need to get a minimum of 50 correct? I am taking the test next month and would appreciate the info. :) best wishes
-Jackie