Saturday, November 14, 2015

Will Ye Also Go Away?

"From that time many of His disciples went back and walked no more with Him."

"Then said Jesus unto the twelve, 'Will ye also go away?'"

"Then Simon Peter answered Him, 'Lord, to whom shall we go?  Thou hast the words of eternal life."   John 6:66-68
I paraphrased verse 68 during my temple recommend interviews this past week with both a member of my Ward bishopric and my Stake President.  This in response to the question both of them asked regarding my support of the First Presidency and the Quorum of the Twelve. 

I told both of them that I am trying but that I am not supportive of the decision to change policy about same-gender marriage as apostasy, nor the decision to preclude children under 18 years of age from receiving ordinances because one or both of their parents may be in a same-gender relationship.  And even though the First Presidency attempted to clarify the Handbook change, the change is nonetheless wrong, in my opinion.

It is not my intent to change anybody's mind about this.  I just believe that the Handbook change only made the Church's stand regarding LGBT people even more difficult for those who want to maintain a connection with the Church for themselves and their children.  I would invite those who may disagree with that assessment, with how damaging the change is particularly to children, to read my previous blog posting earlier this week.

The arguments put forth by Elder Christofferson, and other apologists who have tried to make comparisons to polygamy in protecting the children rings hollow.  I cannot wrap my brain around the Savior forbidding His Father's children to receive baptism.  That is not what the Savior that I worship would do.  

You may argue that I am putting myself in a more knowledgeable position than Christ.  That would assume that every word that a prophet or apostle speaks is His word.  Church history simply does not bear that out.

Of a truth, there is doctrine and there is policy, and this change in the Handbook is not doctrine; the Brethren have not said that it is, and I believe that they have been careful to not say it is.  

But then, I do sustain the Brethren as prophets, seers and revelators.   They themselves would say that they are fallible.  I choose not to worship them.  I choose to worship the Father and the Son.  None of the Brethren are on the other side of the vail--Christ is.

I do believe that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is the Lord's Church.  I could honestly answer in the affirmative (or negative, depending on the question) the questions of my recommend interview.  If any doubt my sincerity or my testimony, I would refer you to my previous blog posting titled, "Behold You Are Mine."

I believe that the Lord has revealed, is revealing, and will reveal the words of eternal life.  To the degree that the Holy Spirit confirms what the Brethren (and Sisters) say, and it does most of the time, I will make the words my own.  But like Joseph Smith, who lacked wisdom and asked God, I choose to receive confirmation for revealed words, and that has not occurred yet in my case with this policy change.  It may yet happen, but so far, no.

In addition, I am choosing to not allow this to alienate me from the Church, although I respect that many are choosing to disassociate themselves from the Church because they cannot live with the cognitive dissonance they are experiencing.  Many same-gender individuals and couples desperately want to stay connected to the Church, and have weathered the LGBT storms up to now.  These people, returned missionaries, local Church leaders, even an Area Authority Seventy, have desired to stay in the Church, but have simply thrown up their hands and proclaimed, "enough!"

Even though for an LGBT Ally like me can choose to be so, those who are LGBT in nearly all cases cannot.  Most have done everything spiritually that they could to ask God to take the feelings away, and it wasn't.  Many have received personal revelation that the course that they are now following is honoring who they are, and that Heavenly Father is okay with it.  

Now to tell these worshipful and faithful Latter-day Saints that they are apostates?  To tell them that the children that want so desperately to be raised in the Church cannot be treated in the eyes of the Church like those kids who have sat next to them in Primary, Young Men and Young Women.  What a terrible blow!  Yet many are indeed choosing to stay and not go away, waiting as I do with increased faith, that they will someday understand it, and feeling the love now of empathetic members who know them as the disciples they really are.

My Shepherd will supply my need, Jehovah is His name!

1 comment:

Smith Superiority said...

A complicated issue indeed. My gut reaction to the news of this policy change was a surge of misunderstanding and protective feelings towards any child who might wish to be baptized being denied. But even before Elder Christofferson was interviewed, I considered the implications. I have had to examine these sorts of feelings in the past as I have a brother who was excommunicated from the Church as an apostate. The reason he is considered an apostate is because he believes the Church is in apostasy - away from what Joseph Smith taught. Somehow - I get the feeling that you have a dim view of apostates. My brother is just as earnest and honest in his 'apostasy' as any person with same gender attraction. Regardless of why - an apostate is one who renounces or abandons a religious principle or belief. A person who chooses to live a homosexual lifestyle is, by their actions, renouncing or abandoning the principle of chastity so simply outlined by our doctrine. Therefore, they are living as an apostate, just as my brother is living as an apostate. In other words, their choice of living that lifestyle is an action of apostasy. Many of the apostates, like my brother, want their children to be baptized into the Church. They want their children to go on Missions for the Church. Do you not see the cognitive dissonance this causes in the lives of their children? This cognitive dissonance is reason for this policy. The Church will not and should not soft shoe around the issue of the Law of Chastity. Those living in homosexual relationships are not repenting of breaking this law - yet - there are some who will want their children blessed and baptized in the Church. This is not a punitive action, Bob, but a cautiously prayed about decision. My question to you is - why should a child being raised in a homosexual home be baptized? It seems to me that the Lord has stalled the inevitable - that when a child decides to be baptized, they will be entering into a covenant that sets them at odds with their parents. How kind is it - that the Church is not allowing their parents, or grandparents, or well-meaning bishops, to force the issue of such a covenant until the child is an adult. I see the kindness in it, nothing more.