Wednesday, November 21, 2012

The Excitement Before Thanksgiving

It's interesting, you know.  Once a year we celebrate Thanksgiving.  It's always on a Thursday, and the day after, Black Friday is usually a day off.  Not much goes on the Wednesday before, except perhaps people flying or driving somewhere to celebrate the Day.  So this holiday essentially provides a unique, five day respite.  Unusual.

I find myself having feelings today, this Wednesday before Thanksgiving, not unlike I would have the night before my missionary preparation days while serving as a missionary in Argentina for my Church.  I remember the excitement and exhilaration on Tuesday evenings prior to the one day in the week--Wednesday--in which we did not proselyte or other "spiritual" activities.

It is true that our expectations prior to days off/holidays/weekends are sometimes more enjoyable and fun than what occurs afterwards.  Thinking about what will/might/could happen certainly is exciting me at this Holiday time.  What will likely happen?
  1. Having my supervision, and hearing about Ann's session she will have today.
  2. Spending time with my son BJ (Robert) this evening.  He is doing SO well at his Rehab, becoming a truly remarkable young man--as he approaches three years clean and sober and serves as an intern there.
  3. The arrival today of a niece and some nephews from Utah and Idaho.  Jill and Richard Lin's Phillip and Christopher, and Rick and Amy's Taylor and Lauren, will be sharing our turkey and fixins tomorrow.  It will be great to have family in our home, an unusual occurrence here in California.
  4. Keeping with our tradition of seeing a movie while the turkey cooks on Thanksgiving, we are going to take all who want to go to see Lincoln, starring Daniel Day Lewis in the starring role (some critics are stating that the Academy just ought to give his the Best Actor award now because no other performance will match his).
  5. Going hiking and seeing God's creations, in mid-70s to low-80s temperatures.
  6. Attending Church and teaching my class of 14 and 15 year olds in Sunday School.
Those who read this blog know of my attempts to be mindful of the many blessings given to me.  In keeping with that theme, I feel to again express my gratitude for His love and grace towards me at this holiday season.  I am smiling....

No comments: