Thursday, August 25, 2011

The Ultimate Transition




Pocatello Idaho Cemetary where Jeanne Harten is now buried

I guess death is the ultimate transition.  It is a transition that I would prefer not to experience at this point in my life although I do not fear it.  When loved ones pass on, we who are left are forced to make a transition in our own lives—to an existence now without them. 
The mother of a very good friend experienced that ultimate transition last night.  I have known this friend for 40 years, and over that long span of time he has always spoken in loving tones about his uniquely wonderful relationship with her.  Our conversations have always seemed to include an appropriate update on her.  Throughout his entire adult life -- through transitions of school, dating, marriage, children, career, and life’s challenges, she has been a towering presence. Early on, she served as mentor, guide, and confidant.  As time rolled by and he became more confident in his abilities and judgments, she appropriately receded into the role of cheerleader, supporter, and advice giver when asked.  In later years as she experienced a colossal number of health challenges, my good friend has become her cheerleader and caretaker, and source of supply of grandchildren whom she has powerfully loved.
I have always felt some kind of kinship with her as a result.  She was a significant part of him; he has been a significant part of me, so subsequently she has been a significant part of me.  And I feel a sweet loss this morning.  Life will still go on, but it will be a little less wonderful because of her transition.  I am grateful for my faith in the Plan, of life after death, an existence free of pain and suffering for her, and I smile as I think of her blessed reunion with her husband and the literal tens of thousands of relatives whom she came to know as a result of a life dedicated to genealogy.  What a fantastic woman she was…. J

No comments: